Peer-Led Support Groups
Peer-led support groups (either in-person or online) are typically led by people who have experienced a loss themselves. These groups are a great way to connect with other people who have been through a similar experience.
*Remember, when a loss is new, it may be difficult to hear details about another person’s experience and pain. Before attending a peer-led support group, make sure you are ready to hear about other’s experiences.*
GRASP | Grief Support After a Substance Passing
Offers various resources and support groups for those grieving the loss of someone due to substance use.
The Dinner Party
A grief resource for young adults who have experienced a loss. Attendees gather for dinner together and talk about their loss.
Grief Share Support Group
This support group offers individuals a way to process a loss with the support of others held in area churches. You can search for meeting locations in specific areas and/or sign up for a daily encouragement email.
Survivors of Suicide
Offers a monthly support group meeting, newsletter, grief counseling resources, recommended reading, and suicide survivor events.
The Compassionate Friends
The Compassionate Friends is a network of families who have lost a child. They offer a support group to parents, grandparents, and siblings who have been affected by such a loss.
The Bereaved Parents of the USA
This group offers connections to other support groups, a newsletter, and other resources for parents who have lost a child.
Moms of Murdered Sons and Daughters
This organization offers a variety of community-based services including support meetings, intervention training, and care packages for those grieving.
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
MADD Victim Services helps victims/survivors with the challenges they face after a substance impaired driving crash. Services include: emotional support; advocacy in the criminal and civil justice systems; court accompaniment when available; access to support groups, counselors, and other community resources; connection with other victims/survivors; tributes to honor victims/survivors; and informational brochures. For more information contact the 24-hour help line at 877.623.3435 or madd.org/help
Professionally-Led Support Groups
Professionally-led support groups are typically either therapeutic or educational in nature and are often run by a trained mental health professional or grief expert. This person will help to facilitate the discussion, provide education, and moderate the group.
Capital Region (D.C., Frederick, Montgomery, and Prince George's Counties)
- Wendt Center | Washington, D.C. | 202-624-0010 | Provides counseling, support groups, and Camp Forget-Me-Not.
- Hospice of Frederick | Frederick, MD | 240-566-3030 | Provides one-on-one counseling, support groups and workshop, and Camp Jamie.
- Chesapeake Life Center | Largo, MD | 888-501-7077 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and Camp Nabi.
- The Washington Home and Community Hospices | 866-234-7742 (Tollfree), 202-966-3720 (Washington, D.C.), 301-560-6000 (Beltsville, MD) | Provides individual counseling and support groups.
- Capital Caring | D.C., VA and MD | 800.869.2136 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and workshops for adults and children.
- Dr. Allison Bomba | Frederick, MD | 240.405.9661 | Offers individual counseling as well as children and teen bereavement groups.
- Frederick Psychology Center | Frederick, MD | 301.695.6455 Extension 10 | Some providers at this center specialize in grief, loss & trauma.
- Friends in Transition | Bethesda, MD | 301.661.3481 | Offers grief counseling as well as other mental health services
- It’s All About Us!, Inc. | Upper Marlboro, MD | 301.576.4100 | [email protected] | Dr. Monica Banks Greene is a life coach specializing in individual, couples, and family psychotherapy. One of her treatment specialties includes grief.
- Jordana Ravick, LCSW-C | Bethesda, MD | 347.450.0646 | [email protected] | Offers individual and family counseling as well as support groups.
- Joanna Strait, LCSW-C | Chevy Chase, MD | 202.930.8723 | Offers counseling and support groups. She specializes in grief and loss (to include pregnancy loss & infertility).
- Carmen Spears, LCPC | Chevy Chase, MD | 410.205.9631 | Provides in-person and online psychotherapy with a specialization in grief and loss.
- Hope-wellness | DC, MD, VA & PA | 703.923.8965 | [email protected] | Offers mental health counseling with providers that specialize in grief, loss and life transitions
- Jamie Eaton, MS, LCPC | Frederick, MD | 240.415.8981 | [email protected] | Offers individual counseling and support groups with a focus on grief, loss and trauma
Central Maryland (Carroll, Howard, Anne Arundel, Baltimore City, Baltimore, & Harford Counties)
- Carroll Hospice | Westminster, MD | 410-871-8000 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and Camp TR.
- Stella Maris | Timonium, MD | 410-252-4500 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and Camp Me Too.
- Chesapeake Life Center | Pasadena, MD | 888-501-7077 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and Camp Nabi.
- The Family Center Grief and Loss Counseling | Ellicott City, MD | 410-531-5087 | Provides individual counseling.
- Time of Need Counseling, LLC. | Catonsville and Owings Mills, MD | 410.705.0664 | [email protected] | Offers grief counseling in addition to other mental health services.
- Seasons Hospice | Baltimore, Randallstown, and Elkton, MD | 855-812-1136 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and kids camp.
- Heartland Hospice | Serves Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City & County, Harford County and Howard County | 866-676-1688 | Provides individual counseling and support groups.
- Corye Pike, LCSW-C | Baltimore, MD | 240.461.9317 | [email protected] | Provides psychotherapy for a variety of concerns including trauma and life transitions including grief and loss.
- Annette Laugel, MS, LCPC, LMT | Baltimore, MD | 443.570.7859 | [email protected] | Provides grief counseling and facilitates grief focused support groups.
- Imara Center for Grief and Loss | Laurel, MD | 240.581.1500 | [email protected] | Offers grief counseling, support groups, and crisis management as well as other mental health services.
- The Anne Arundel Department of Aging and Disabilities | Anne Arundel County | Beth Mucciacciaro, RN - 410-222-0263 | Grief counseling available to residents of Anne Arundel County.
- Sharon Strouse, MA, ATR-BC, LCPAT | Cockeysville, MD | 410.667.9384 | Art therapist who specializes in suicide grief/child loss. She offers individual and group sessions as well as workshops.
- Healing Path Counseling Center | Sykesville, MD | 410.921.9004 or [email protected] | Offers grief counseling and other mental health services.
- Amedisys Hospice of Greater Chesapeake | Rosedale, MD | 410.686.5635 | Provides free support groups and one-on-one grief counseling.
- Anchored Hope Therapy | Annapolis, MD | 443.291.8090 | This practice has various providers, many of whom specialize in trauma and grief. Inquire directly for more information.
- Dr. Tamara C. Almonte, Psy.D | Eldersburg, MD | 410.315.8015 | [email protected] | Specializes in grief and loss as well as other mental health concerns.
- Jessi Collins Therapy | Arnold, MD | 410.541.6354 | [email protected] | Jessi Collins, LCSW-C has a comprehensive therapy practice and she specializes in working with people who have experienced death and non-death losses.
- The Baltimore Annapolis Center for Integrative Healing | Severna Park, MD | 443.320.4034 | This practice has various providers who offer expertise in many different areas, including grief and loss.
- Silver Leaf Counseling | Severna Park, MD | 410.294.0152 | [email protected] | This practice provides individual, couple and family counseling with a focus on perinatal and pediatric bereavement, as well as perinatal and post-partum depression.
- Mary Woznysmith, LCSW-C Counseling and Life Journey Mentoring | Lothian, MD | [email protected] | Mary Woznysmoth provides counseling and mentoring for women, with a speciality in bereavement.
- Mindful Transitions Counseling | Ellicott City, MD | 443.745.2478 | l[email protected] | Lisa Boxall, LGPC, NCC is a mental health and pastoral counselor specializing in grief, loss, end-of-life concerns and late life transitions for older adults and their families. She offers counseling, support groups and psycho-educational seminars.
- Barbara Hunter, PhD | Ellicott City, MD | 443.794.3001 | [email protected] | Dr. Hunter is a clinical pastoral counselor who specializes in working with adults and couples experiencing grief, loss and unexpected life events and transitions.
- Northern Chesapeake Counseling | Bel Air, MD | 443.567.6397 | [email protected] | Specializes in working with children and adults experiencing grief, loss, trauma and other mental health concerns.
- The Village Family Support Center of Baltimore | Baltimore City, MD | 443.934.5067 | [email protected] | Provides individual and group counseling services to children, teens adults and families.
- Lindsey Suter, LCSW-C, RPT | L.E.A.P Counseling & Family Support Services | Baltimore, MD | 443.230.5828 or 443.759.5437 | Lindsey is a social worker and registered play therapist who can work with children as young as 3 years old. Her specialities include, but are not limited to, grief and life transitions.
- Sarah Diehl Therapy | Baltimore, MD | 443.993.5105 | Sarah is a therapist who provides mental health services with a speciality in grief and trauma. She provides individual therapy and support groups.
- Michelle Backe, LCSW-C | Pikesville, MD | 443.570.6015 | [email protected] | Specializes in beareavement and specifically perinatal loss among other mental health concerns.
- Sheep-gate Christian Counseling | Laurel, MD | 301.490.3825 | Provides individual and couples counseling for a variety of mental health concerns as well as grief and loss.
Eastern Maryland (Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot, Caroline, Dorchester, Wicomico, Worcester, and Somerset Counties)
- Talbot Hospice | Easton, MD | 410-822-6681 | Provides individual counseling and support groups for adults and children.
- Compass Regional Hospice | Centreville, Denton, Federalsburg and Rock Hall, MD | 443-262-4109 | Provides individual counseling, support groups, and Camp New Dawn.
- Corsica River Behavioral Health Services | Centreville, St. Michaels, Cambridge, and Federalsburg, MD | 410.758.2211 | Offers grief counseling and other mental health services.
- Safe Harbor Christian Counseling | Elkton, MD | 410.656.1157 | Offers grief counseling and other mental health services
- Megan Mullins, LCPC, ACE CPT, CF L1 | Elkton, MD & Newark, DE | Offers mental health services with experience working with grief.
- Upper Bay Counseling | Elkton, MD & Havre De Grace, MD | 1.800.467.0304 Offers grief counseling and support groups.
Western Maryland (Garrett, Allegany, and Washington Counties)
- Jennie L Jordan | Hagerstown, MD | 301.710.0618 | Individual counseling specializing in trauma and EMDR, including treatment of grief.
- Magnolia Counseling Services, LLC | Hagerstown, MD | 240.513.4551 | Martin Price, MS, LCPC has ample experience with youth and adults who've suffered from trauma.
- Potomac Behavioral and Occupational Therapy | Cumberland, MD | 240.839.4748
Southern Maryland (Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's Counties)
- Calvert Hospice | Prince Frederick, MD | 410-535-0892 | Provides support groups and Camp Phoenix.
- Hospice of Charles County | Waldorf, MD | 301-861-5300 | Provides individual counseling and kids camp.
- Hospice of Saint Mary's | Callaway, MD | 301-994-3078 | Provides individual counseling and Camp Sunrise.